Upcoming hiatuson March 23, 2012 at 9:49 pm
I’m writing this to let you know that after April 3rd, Fall on Me will be going on hiatus.
It took me a long time to make this decision (not an easy one by any means), but I’ve decided it’s the best thing to do for the time being.
I have many reasons why I’m taking a break:
1. I’ve been on a continuous full-time job in the animation industry for over 6 months now, which is good, but which unfortunately leaves me able to work on the comic only on weekends (i.e. not having much of a life). Not being able to do much or even to “have a life” alongside my husband has drained my pool of writing material quite a bit, which in turn has left me scraping the bottom of the barrel, so to speak. So, while the latest comic strips have been “all right”, for many weeks I’ve struggled to make comics based on material I’m truly happy with.
2. This all-work and little-to-no-play has left me burned out, so I just want a bit of a vacation. For how long, I’m not sure yet. I’ll be sure to let you know as soon as I know
3. Fall on Me, Volume 3 is coming up soon, and I need the weekend(s) time to draw a cover, put the book together and get it ready for print for you guys I’m pretty excited about that!
4. I’m itching to draw new things. Again, because my time is so limited during the week, I find myself drawing ONLY the comic, and I miss trying to draw other stuff; pushing myself, trying different styles, growing as an artist…heck, maaaaybe even trying other comic projects, who knows (not super-sure about this one, but we’ll see!).
5. And lastly…this could be a product of burn-out, but I’m not as excited about the comic anymore. I’ve always told myself and mentioned in a few interviews that if the comic ever became a chore, I would stop…and sadly I feel I’ve reached that point. No worries; I’m hoping this is temporary, but I’m not sure yet…I feel like I need to step back and let myself breathe for a while so I can figure things out. Hopefully I can come back energized and with more material that’s worth telling.
So, anyway…I’m feeling both excited and sad about this. I’m sad to feel the need to stop this project which has been a great experience for me, but on the other hand I’d hate to force it til it becomes absolutely horrible. Through Fall on Me I’ve met so many amazing artists and readers, and I’m truly grateful and humbled for your support and readership! I’m also excited because this could signify bigger and better things to come, whether with a Fall on Me restart and/or with other things.
I only hope you guys will bear with me and stick around for the ride
(I’m still planning to attend whatever festivals and cons I can to help promote the books and my work, so please stay tuned for that!)
Thanks again for being so great and being with me through these (almost) uninterrupted 3+ years! So again, I’m publishing 3 more strips, with April 3rd being the last update before hiatus.
Thank you very much for reading. Lots of hugs!!